1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 pkg. (500g) short crust pastry, at room temp
6 medium Cameo apples, peeled and cored
3 Tbsp. seedless raisins
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 lightly beaten egg yokes
240ml whole milk
3 Tbsp. sugar
dash of salt
1/3 tsp. maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 425° F. Stir together 1/3 c. sugar and cinnamon; set aside. Spray 13×9-inch baking pan with vegetable cooking spray.
- Divide the pastry in 2, roll the pastry out on lightly floured surface to 1/8-inch thickness (15-inch diameter) circle. Cut each round into 3 equal wedges.
- For each dumpling, roll a Cameo in sugar-cinnamon mixture to coat well. Fill apple centre with raisins. Place apple stem end up on one pastry wedge. Wrap pastry around apple, trimming dough with kitchen scissors and pinching edges together with fingers to seal.
- Place each dumpling upside down in baking pan. Brush dumplings with beaten whole egg. Sprinkle any remaining cinnamon-sugar mixture over dumplings. Bake 40-45 min. or until apples are tender when pierced with a knife. Cool while preparing sauce.
- Stir together egg yolks, milk, sugar and salt in medium saucepan until blended. Cook and stir mixture constantly over medium heat for about 5 to 7 min. or until mixture coats metal spoon.
- Remove from heat; stir in maple syrup. Set saucepan in a bowl of ice water to cool sauce; stir frequently for about 10 min. until sauce is cool.
- Serve dumplings with custard sauce spooned over. Cover and refrigerate any leftover sauce.