Cameo jeweled apples – better than boring apple sauce!
100g cooked chestnuts, roughly chopped*
50g dried or fresh cranberries
1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
2cm root ginger, grated*
1 tsp ground nutmeg
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 egg, beaten
1 tbsp rapeseed oil
6 Cameo apples
6 star anise*
sea salt and black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas mark 4.
- In a large bowl, combine the chestnuts, thyme, cranberry, ginger, nutmeg and cinnamon.
- Tear the bread into the bowl and mix in the egg and oil. Mix thoroughly with a fork, until a moist consistency.
- With a sharp knife, cut around the outer rim of the top of the apples and then cut to two thirds down.
- With a teaspoon, carefully dig out the middle of the apples and chop any apple flesh from the middles (discarding the core) and then mix into the bowl.
- Divide the apple mixture between the apples and top with a star anise.
- Bake for 25 minutes, until soft and golden.